Sunday, November 12, 2006

We Really Used Our Geocaching Skills Yesterday!

The little blue pin is where the first stage of our geocaching adventure began. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocaching http://www.geocaching.com/

Zach, Miles, Phil, and I went geocaching down by Jordan Lake and the Haw River yesterday. It was a gorgeous November day in the high 70s and blue skies.

We encountered this very small snake. I'm pretty sure he or she was a Northern Water Snake, which is often confused with a Cottonmouth.

We also encountered this gigantic "tree wart". I took a few pictures of it, then we headed on our way. After a while, I noticed my cell phone was missing. We kept going and found the cache we were looking for and the old well right beside it. Miles has a "bread crumb" feature on his GPS that allows you to retrace your steps. This of course was just what we needed to try and find my cell phone. We went all the way back to the place where we saw the little snake. We didn't see the cell phone or the snake anywhere. So Phil hiked back to the car to get Miles' cell phone and we stayed behind in hopes that when Phil called my number, we would hear it ring. We didn't hear any ringing, and shortly later Phil arrived back where we were searching. We decided to follow our trail again with the "bread crumb" feature, but this time calling my cell phone every little while in hopes that we would hear it. As we got to the bottom of a hill in an almost dry creek bed, we thought we might have heard something. We looked up the hill and saw the same tree with the giant wart. Miles called my phone again. This time I could hear it clearly off in the distance somewhere in the woods. We realized then that my cell phone might have been knocked off my belt when I was taking my camera out of my bag to take pictures of the amazing tree wart. Zach led the charge up the steep hill and sure enough, there was my cell phone laying on the ground near the finest tree wart I've ever seen. It had taken 14 calls for us to finally track it down, but it was really cool to have managed to find it among all the freshly fallen autumn leaves.

Zach celebrated at the S and T Soda Shoppe in Pittsboro with two scoops of ice cream, that was actually about the size of four to six. Zach reported that the pumpkin flavor in the right was definitely the best.

1 Comments:

At 4:58 AM, Blogger wagaanda said...

great story. now we know what to give Drew and David for Christmas-bread crumbs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home